The Bamboo Path
As we take a contemplative journey along The Bamboo Path, you are invited to Practice the sumi-e vocabulary of strokes. Each class will begin with a meditation, followed by some lessons in technique for Trunks, Stems, Branches, Leaves and composing a painting using Paper from The Beginner Roll or The Advanced Paper Roll. All levels are welcome, plan to let go and have fun while learning a few new stroke techniques.
Japanese ink painting, (sumi-e) is the art of painting using brush (fude), ink (sumi) and thin absorbent “rice-paper” (washi).
About this Event
The emphasis is on the process! The Class will review the foundations of Sumi-e.
- Introduction to an appreciation of Chinese/Japanese calligraphy and painting
- “Four Treasures” (The ink stick, the ink stone, brush and paper) , the equipment and supplies
- Basic exercise on painting Bamboo Trunks, Branches, petals and the basic composition of a Bamboo painting
- Each class begins with a Zen lesson followed by breath and hand exercises.
- Demonstration of the “Vocabulary of strokes followed by step-by-step guided instruction on how to paint “The Four Nobles (Gentlemen): The Bamboo Path”
- Int & Adv. will focus on Trunks, Branches, petals and composing paintings using Paper from The Advanced Paper Roll.
- Advanced Students will be provided individualized guidance, work at their own pace discovering “idea” paintings and advanced techniques.
- All levels are welcome, plan to let go and have fun while learning a few new stroke techniques.
If you need course materials a full sumi-e kit is available here.
Beginning Tutorial Lessons are on YouTube. Please subscribe to Larkin Green Studio YouTube Channel. New lessons will be added on a regular basis.
4 weeks for $120
Time: Tuesday 3:00 PM – 4:00 PM CST
Dates: June 6, 13, 20 & 27
A Zoom link to join the class will be provided upon registering in the Eventbrite confirmation email.
*Registration closes one hour prior to the class time.e.