The emphasis is on the process! The Class will review the foundations of Sumi-e.
- Introduction to an appreciation of Chinese/Japanese calligraphy and painting
- “Four Treasures” (The ink stick, the ink stone, brush and paper) , the equipment and supplies
- Basic exercise on painting Grass Orchid leaves, petals, rocks and the basic composition of a Grass Orchid painting
- Each class begins with a Zen lesson followed by breath and hand exercises.
- Demonstration of the “Vocabulary of strokes followed by step-by-step guided instruction on how to paint “The Four Gentlemen: The Grass Orchid Path”
- Int & Adv. will focus on Leaves, Petals, Rocks and composing paintings using Paper from The Advanced Paper Roll.
- Advanced Students will be provided individualized guidance, work at their own pace discovering “idea” paintings and advanced techniques.
- All levels are welcome, plan to let go and have fun while learning a few new stroke techniques.
If you need course materials a full sumi-e kit is available here.
Beginning Tutorial Lessons are on YouTube. Please subscribe to Larkin Green Studio YouTube Channel. New lessons will be added on a regular basis.
4 weeks for $120
Time: Sundays 10:30 AM – 12:30 PM CST
Dates: Mar 5, 12, 19 & 26
A Zoom link to join the class will be provided upon registering in the Eventbrite confirmation email.
*Registration closes one hour prior to the class time.